Perhaps Peterborough many be better known by some for its excellent shopping facilities.
However, Peterborough is also home to the beautiful Peterborough Cathedral, which is well worth visiting.
Following an accidental fire in 1116, Peterborough Cathedral was rebuilt in its present form between 1118 and 1238.
The highlights of Peterborough Cathedral include:
- the dramatic hanging crucifix, which frames the choir stalls
- the spectacular central tower
- the new building ceiling, with fan vaulting
- the beautiful hand-painted nave ceiling
- the marble altar in the sanctuary.
Additional information can be obtained from the Peterborough Cathedral website:
The photo on this page was taken by Mark Heath.