The beautiful village of Spaldwick is located in Cambridgeshire, UK. Situated close to the newly-improved A14, Cambridge is 25 minutes away by car. The spire of Spaldwick Church – the tallest in Huntingdonshire – can be seen for miles around and the village has 21 listed buildings and is protected by the Spaldwick Conservation Area. Currently, there are about 250 households in Spaldwick. While people have been living and working in Spaldwick since the Bronze Age, the village has a range of modern facilities, including a primary school, playgroup, popular pub and a new service station (with shop, restaurants and an off licence). All houses within the village have access to fibre broadband, with download speeds up to 80 Mbps. In 2021, ultrafast full-fibre broadband will become available to everyone, offering speeds up to 920 Mbps and making Spaldwick one of the best-connected rural communities in the UK.
Superb transport links
Spaldwick is located just off the A14, seven miles west from Huntingdon, and offers excellent access by road to the West (A14), East (A14), North (A1) and South (A1). Journey times to Cambridge have been substantially improved by the current A14 Cambridge to Huntingdon improvement scheme project. The Huntingdon Bypass opened on Monday 9th December 2019 – a year ahead of schedule – which has already made a dramatic difference to journey times. Journeys to and from Cambridge (located 25 miles away) now reliably take 25 minutes by car.
Spaldwick has a range of modern facilities
Within the village, we are fortunate to have a range of facilities, which include:
- Spaldwick Primary School
- Playtimes Playgroup
- the extremely popular George pub and restaurant
- a new Spaldwick service station (shown below), which sells an extensive range of goods, food and wine, and incorporates Costa Coffee, Subway and Greggs
- Spaldwick Out of School Club (S-Club), which provides affordable childcare for working parents
- Spaldwick Church, which is supported by an active group of villagers
- superfast broadband, offering download speeds up to 80 Mbps, with ultrafast Fibre-to-the-Premises being introduced in 2021
- Kimbolton School, an independent school based in the nearby village of Kimbolton, which is located 4.5 miles (10 minutes) away.
Spaldwick has several clubs and groups
We have active Spaldwick clubs and groups, including:
- Spaldwick Social Group, organising social events throughout the year, including the annual Spaldwick Fete and Santa Sleigh
- Spaldwick Escape Group, offering youth nights and special events for young people of the village and surrounding villages
- Spaldwick Bell Ringers.
Beyond Spaldwick, there are other clubs in nearby villages, including Kimbolton Rotary and a carpet bowls club.
Superfast fibre broadband is available in Spaldwick, with full-fibre broadband arriving in 2021
Spaldwick was one of the very first rural villages in the country to get superfast fibre broadband as part of the Connecting Cambridgeshire programme, with the service going live in June 2014. The village received a substantial amount of publicity, with a visit made by the Broadband Minister. More than 80% of households in the village now subscribe to superfast fibre broadband. Download speeds up to 80 Mbps are offered, with upload speeds up to 20 Mbps.
Following a successful village campaign, ultrafast and future-proof Fibre-to-the-Premises (FTTP) broadband will become available to all residents in 2021, offering download speeds up to 910 Mbps. For the latest news on broadband in the village, please read our Spaldwick broadband page.
Spaldwick has a rich history
Recent excavations near Spaldwick Church revealed a series of ditches and pits dating from 1000 BC. Spaldwick was recorded in 1086 in the Domesday Book and it is believed that a small stone church was here in Spaldwick in the late 12th century. Spaldwick contains 21 listed buildings, dating from the 17th century. Spaldwick had a windmill situated to the north of the village, which is now demolished.
For more information and photos, visit our History of Spaldwick page.
To get in touch or add news and information to this website, please email email@example.com.
Other pages you may be interested in: